Guitarix to Individual tracks?

All your LV2 and LADSPA goodness and more.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Slapp62
Established Member

Guitarix to Individual tracks?

Post by Slapp62 »

Hi, is there a way to route guitarix instances to separate tracks and be able to monitor and record from each track (in Ardour).

I think the problem is that i couldnt manage to get guitarix monitoring in Ardour. I currently have guitarix routed to my playback speakers and ardour, with the line to the playback acting as my monitor. So I cant easily switch between the two different instances in ardour since both have to be routed to playback.

Also, how do I add effects to the output of a track? I want to be able to record dry and apply amp sims to tracks..

Thanks for any help!!
varpa
Established Member

Re: Guitarix to Individual tracks?

Post by varpa »

You can connect guitarix to a track using an insert: http://manual.ardour.org/signal-routing/inserts/
You can run several instances of guitarix for use in different tracks.
Also, many guitarix effects are available as lv2 plugins which can be directly attached to tracks.
Pablo
Established Member

Post by Pablo »

Also, note that the default behaviour is "hardware monitoring". So you won't hear what you are recording via ardour itself. Your workaround is a bit ugly, much better if you select "Ardour does monitoring". Look at Options, monitoring (or similar, ardour2 here).
ssj71
Established Member

Post by ssj71 »

Pablo wrote:Also, note that the default behaviour is "hardware monitoring".
Actually I believe that is no longer the default, but its a good thought. Worth checking.
I second the comment about using the guitarix lv2 plugins. They can offer the same sound with some more flexibility and tidiness.
_ssj71

music: https://soundcloud.com/ssj71
My plugins are Infamous! http://ssj71.github.io/infamousPlugins
I just want to get back to making music!
Slapp62
Established Member

Post by Slapp62 »

thanks for all the help guys.

i was trying to add the effects within ardour but it wasnt working. I was told i need to apply the plugin to the output of the track but i dont know how to do that and couldnt find anywhere online describing it, im sure its something simple il feel like an idiot for missing...
Pablo
Established Member

Post by Pablo »

Just open the Mixer window and right click on the black areas, either prefader or postfader, and add plugin (or insert, etc).

Cheers! Pablo
Slapp62
Established Member

Post by Slapp62 »

hey pablo, i tried doing that but nothing happens...the clean audio doesnt get altered..
tramp
Established Member

Post by tramp »

here is a series of nice ardour tutorial videos :
Linux Music
On the road again.
Pablo
Established Member

Post by Pablo »

Tramp, thanks for that link. I think it will be more clarifying than my clumsy explanations. Still, I will try.

Slapp, when you say "the clean audio doesn't get altered", do you mean the recorded audio? If so, that's expected because you haven't changed the track input by inserting a plugin somewhere after the input. Look at the audio signal route:

Input -- prefader plugins, inserts and sends -- fader -- postfader plugins/insert/sends -- output.
^^^ Whatever the track input, that's what gets recorded..........................................^^^ The track's output is usually connected to the master bus which is usually connected to the audio card's ("system") playbacks

If you really mean the track output, check that the plugin is enabled.

To record the processed signal, you can use an auxiliar bus to host a guitarix plugin or an insert to/from stand-alone guitarix.
Or you can connect the output of stand-alone guitarix to a track's inputs. You can even record from on track to another. It is all very flexible.

Happy routing!
glowrak guy
Established Member

Post by glowrak guy »

It's good luck to always record a dry track as well as processed track(s).
When you nail a killer riff, you will always find new fx knowledge and plugins a year or two later,
and be glad you kept your raw audio, to feed them.
Cheers
Slapp62
Established Member

Post by Slapp62 »

i figured it out.. i was putting the plugin postfader when it needs to be prefader..i knew it was something simple..thanks for the help guys, il take a look at the tutorials.