jack plugin for the flash player

What other apps and distros do you use to round out your studio?

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

thorgal
Established Member

Re: jack plugin for the flash player

Post by thorgal »

Hej Lars (er du fra Danmark ?)

The nvidia binary driver is easily installed manually. I never used DKMS (automatic build for drievrs compiled outside the kernel tree if I understand correctly).

Here is a quick howto:

- check which kernel you have

Code: Select all

uname -r
dpkg -l linux-image* | grep ii
The latter command (dpkg) will give you the package version number which you will reuse just below.

- install the kernel headers matching your kernel image

sudo apt-get install linux-headers-<whatever version you need>
- go to nvidia.com, pick up a country and download the linux beta driver for your GPU. Here it is (64bit) :
http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_disp ... 95.22.html
save it in a directory location you can remember from the command line terminal (e.g. /home/<yourself>/packages)

- switch to a virtual console : Ctrl+Alt+F2 or from terminal:

sudo chvt 2
- log in as root (if you know the root password) or yourself, in which case you will use 'sudo' (I will put it between parentheses to mean that you do not need it if you logged as root)

- close X (pick one of these commands):

(sudo) /etc/init.d/gdm stop  # if you use gdm
(sudo) /etc/init.d/kdm stop # if you use kdm
- go to where you downloaded the nvidia package

cd /home/<yourself>/packages
- make it "executable"

chmod +x NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-195.22-pkg2.run
- install it

(sudo) ./NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-195.22-pkg2.run
- reply to the installer questions. No need to let it try to download a precompiled version via FTP, say yes when it warns you that you will uninstall the previous driver, etc.

- if everything goes well, it will compile the kernel module, then will install all the X libraries it came with, etc.

- it will then ask you whether you want to generate an xorg.conf. If you have an already working one based on the previous nvidia binary driver, no need.

- when all is fine at that stage, it is time to restart X:

(sudo) /etc/init.d/gdm start  # if gdm or
(sudo) /etc/init.d/kdm start
- it could be that Ubuntu 9.10 comes with newer "upstart" scripts, in which case, stopping and starting the WM is done like this:

(sudo) stop gdm
(sudo) start gdm
- if it does not work, post any relevant log files, error messages, etc.
Yeri
Established Member

Post by Yeri »

It works for me too :D (on x86_64)
Thanks Torben !

Gerard.
Louigi Verona
Established Member

Post by Louigi Verona »

Wow! It works ) Compiled perfectly (guess with all that music compiling I've been doing lately I just got all the libs there is to get) and works very nice too! Finally I can capture audio from flash.
larz
Established Member

Post by larz »

Hi.
Thanks a lot Thorgal. (Jeps. Jeg bor i Kbh.).

Sorry I didn't get around to trying this out. I've been on tour and then I actually had Chickenpox (skoldkopper). Damn, that's bad when you're an adult. I can't recommend it.

It kind of worked. Got the new Nvidia-drivers installed. It actually solved some flickering I had when I use compiz, so that was great. However, it didn't solve the problem with the realtime-kernel.
It just boots into a dialogbox of some sort, that would let med troubleshoot nvidia-driver, boot into an x-term, boot in low-graphics-mode and other stuff.
Is it important what kernel I boot into before I installed the driver, because I tried to install the from a non-rt kernel.
I'm might try again from the rt-kernel (in low-graphics-mode) or maybe try to reinstall the rt-kernel.

I'm still on ubuntu 9.10, running 2.6.31-17-generic kernel, with a GeForce 7800 GS card. Running just fine on this non-rt kernel.
larz
Established Member

Post by larz »

This is a good day. It worked. I reinstalled the rt kernel. Booted it. Exited to a terminal (which was one of the options of the evil NVIDIA dialog box). Reinstalled new drivers from there. And here I am: rt-kernel, jack, ardour... Everything is working great.
Thanks a lot for your help.
thorgal
Established Member

Post by thorgal »

Hi Lars,

Tough luck with the chickenpox! :(

But glad you got it working.
The nVidia installer has many options for installation. So say you installed it for a non RT kernel, and you then installed an RT kernel with its headers. You will need to compile the nvidia kernel module only. Two ways:

- either you boot into the new kernel at runlevel 1 (in single superuser mode)
- or you stay booted with the older kernel and stay in X as well. In this case, you will provide the following options to the NVIDIA installer:

(sudo) ./NVIDIA-blabla-version.run -K -k <kernel_version>
the -K option (capital K) means : build kernel module only
the -k <kernel_version> means: build the module for this kernel version.

This procedure avoids reinstalling the X component of the nvidia package. Since you're only interested in a new kernel, the kernel module is all you need to compile.

Mvh,
T.
larz
Established Member

Post by larz »

Thanks a lot (du kan nogle tricks).
It's working better than ever. Linux (ubuntu) is just getting better and better these days. And the community support to. Thanks.

Hey T. If you wan't to se a really wierd kernel problem i had which affected my digital-piano http://ubuntudanmark.dk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=8849 it's in danish. It is solved with the kernel from 10,04, so you should only read it if you're technically curious. But it is a fun bug.
davebritton
Established Member

Post by davebritton »

Pablo, thanks for this, I've been looking for a way to handle this annoying problem.
But, I got all the dependencies you listed and successfully git-cloned the source and compiled it, and I created the symlink you said lucid needed to the the resulting /usr/local/lib/libflashsupport.so in /usr/lib/firefox-3.6.4.
Now notice this is 3.6.4, not 3.6.3. Hmm. But it doesn't work. I restarted firefox and still hear no sound when I play a video fom Google Videos if jack is running. I do hear sound when jack is not running. Jack won't start if firefox is running video as it says hw:0 is in use. I have restarted firefox, restarted jack (with qjackctl, and there is a .jackrcd file in my home dir), rebooted, restarted them in different orders and still no joy. Any suggestions?
I am running the latest pure:dyne linux (carrot&coriander) amd64 version.
Dave Britton
Pablo
Established Member

Post by Pablo »

Hi Dave,

I think puredyne is based on ubuntu karmic. Anyway, it is possible you have to make a symbolic link to somewhere else. Let's see, do a:

$ sudo updatedb
$ locate firefox | grep /usr/lib

Cheers! Pablo
Capoeira
Established Member

Post by Capoeira »

arch has it in the repros
davebritton
Established Member

Post by davebritton »

I haven't been able to get it to work. maybe an amd64 problem? the flash player just ignores anything else and continues to conflict with jack
fstemmel

Post by fstemmel »

I can confirm that it is working on Ubuntu studio 64, Lucid version (10.04)

For that, i needed to adapt two things:

1) library is created in folder /usr/lib (not /usr/local/lib), so for the sym link creation you must type:
sudo ln -s /usr/lib/libflashsupport.so /usr/lib/firefox-3.6.8/ (i have currently FF 3.6.8 installed, pls adapt)

2) You cannot use the flash player submitted with Ubuntu, as it is a 32 bits version with a wrapper.
You need to use a fully 64 bits flash player plugin. The .so file need to be copied to the following folder: "/usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/". Here is my file:

-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 9570952 2010-08-27 00:11 libflashplayer.so

$ file libflashplayer.so
libflashplayer.so: ELF 64-bit LSB shared object, x86-64, version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked, stripped

I have version 10,0,42,34 installed (from adobe test website)

This file was retrieved from official adobe labs web site, version 64 bits beta program for linux. Now that the beta is closed, there is no more such 64 bits around on adode web site, so you must search on your own to find this file on the internet somewhere ...
kdec

Post by kdec »

Hi New Guy Here! I'm trying to get this to work. I'm using Ubuntu Studio 12.10

Can anybody help me with some updated instructions? I tried following the old ones but i'm new to linux and got errors like... "flashsupport.c:184:28: fatal error: linux/videodev.h: No such file or directory
compilation terminated.
make: *** [libflashsupport_la-flashsupport.lo] Error 1" ... After doing the last step "sudo make install"

Thanks for any help! :D
Walnutcracker
Established Member

Post by Walnutcracker »

kdec wrote:Hi New Guy Here! I'm trying to get this to work. I'm using Ubuntu Studio 12.10

Can anybody help me with some updated instructions? I tried following the old ones but i'm new to linux and got errors like... "flashsupport.c:184:28: fatal error: linux/videodev.h: No such file or directory
compilation terminated.
make: *** [libflashsupport_la-flashsupport.lo] Error 1" ... After doing the last step "sudo make install"

Thanks for any help! :D
This is a late reply but i had the same issue and did some searching around. I finally found the solution so i will post it here -

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/5842 ... 1#14026861

sudo apt-get install libv4l-dev
cd /usr/include/linux
sudo ln -s ../libv4l1-videodev.h videodev.h