Don't use JACK 0.109.X !

Optimize your system for ultimate performance.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

studio32

Don't use JACK 0.109.X !

Post by studio32 »

please note that once the next release of JACK is out (today, i hope),
it is very important that versions 0.109.X be consigned to the scrap bin
of history. it is very embarrassing that 0.109 was ever released, and it
needs to die as soon as possible.

--p
funkmuscle
Established Member

Re: Don't use JACK 0.109.X !

Post by funkmuscle »

what new version of jack? 0.116.1 has been out for sometime now....svn, and the stable release a few days ago...Do you mean another new release??
studio32

Post by studio32 »

I mean don't use jack 0.109.X....

So use another version... best >0.115
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

yeah, I'm using 116.1...it's way better...
ntnunk
Established Member

Post by ntnunk »

funkmuscle wrote:yeah, I'm using 116.1...it's way better...
I'm curious about what improvements you've seen with 116.1. Is it more stable? Faster? or something? Once I got 0.109 up originally I really don't think I've ever seen it do anything wrong. I don't believe it's ever crashed on me or anything.

I just upgraded to 0.116.1 last night but I didn't use it enough to see any difference. It started up and worked but then 0.109 always did as well. What was so bad about the 109 release? Does anyone know?

Also, I built 0.116.1 for Ubuntu Studio 8.04 from source. No problems building it at all but I did see one line in the configure script output that said something like "Not using any optimizations....." Does anyone have any idea what optimizations I could/should be using? I looked at the configure script help and really didn't see much as far as optimizing for the processor or anything so I just did the standard ./configure --prefix=/usr && make && make install.
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

more stable for me here. I don't use Ubuntu for audio so not too sure. Very easy build for my as I use Arch and all I have to do is change the version# in the PKGBUILD and run the build/install script.
raboof
Established Member

Post by raboof »

Note that Ubuntu (Studio) as of 8.10 still comes with 0.109 by default.

The new version is in jaunty but not in intrepid-backports. A backport can be found, however, in Khashayar's personal archive. I'm going to give that a shot.
studio32

Post by studio32 »

raboof wrote:Note that Ubuntu (Studio) as of 8.10 still comes with 0.109 by default.

The new version is in jaunty but not in intrepid-backports. A backport can be found, however, in Khashayar's personal archive. I'm going to give that a shot.
sorry, but it is a shame that it is in Ubuntu Studio imho... This doesn't do any good for people who want to try Linux for music production... That's why I recommend 64studio which is also based on Ubuntu (LTS) from version 3.0
raboof
Established Member

Post by raboof »

studio32 wrote:it is a shame that it is in Ubuntu Studio imho... This doesn't do any good for people who want to try Linux for music production... That's why I recommend 64studio which is also based on Ubuntu (LTS) from version 3.0
Well, the current stable version of 64studio is even further behind: it's at 0.103. They do seem to have a well-stocked backports selection though.

I tried installing the newer jackd on Ubuntu from Khashayar's repository by the way, and so far it seems quite an improvement. There seems to be little chance of this work entering the official ubuntu backports, however, because of the effort it would take to test all the other packages that depend on libjack...
studio32

Post by studio32 »

I think 64studio uses jack 2 from 3.0