How to import mid files into Ardour?

Post fully complete "how to" guides and tutorials here. This is a great place to get feedback on stuff you might put in the wiki.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

leokin
Established Member

Re: How to import mid files into Ardour?

Post by leokin »

Well folks, thank you for all your help; I super appreciate all your suggestions.
I've come to the conclusion I have some kinda brain dysfunction happening, because I still can't get my setup as outlined in this thread.
I've installed KXStudio exclusively to a dedicated hard drive and been messing around with connections and reading and watching videos
about samplers, synthesizers, sequencers, etc. Don't have a clue why "Midi Through" shows up on Ladish...and what it exactly is...

Anyone have a suggestion for a newbie to KXStudio where to go to start from scratch to learn how to ...
1) Import drum midi tracks (13 in this one file)...into Ardour, Muse...where do I start?
2) Be able to edit each track individually in Ardour (volume, effects, etc.)
3) Overdub with my guitar (That I know how to do, using AudioBox USB interface).?
troathscream
Established Member

Post by troathscream »

Hi Leokin,

What you could try is to load one of the miditracks in ardour in a midichannel and then use drumgizmo (it's installed default in kxstudio) (http://www.drumgizmo.org/wiki/)
on that midi channel.
inside drumgizmo you then have to load a drumkit (downloadable from their site) and a midimap that's included with the drumkits.
Try if you get any sound then, there are tutorials on their site.

For midi through read this : http://www.homerecordinghub.com/midi-thru.html
It only matters if you are gonna use several midi hardware devices like several synths, an electronic or triggered drumkit.
It passes the original midi signal from the master midi device like a splitter

Example : i route the Roland drumbrain with the midi out to my soundcards midi in, if i want i could use the midi through to route it to a second sound cards midi input and be able to record midi with ardour on my master daw and on my second computer use the signal from the midi through to use a VSTI or hydrogen for monitoring purposes as it takes of the load of my master daw's CPU.

Grtz
Metal for the Devil!!!!
leokin
Established Member

Post by leokin »

Ok, so in my case, since I am not using any MIDI hardware, eg, a keyboard for instance,
when I fire up LADISH when I see "MIDI through connected to something, I can just disconnect it?

And Drum Gizmo looks kool...I'll read up on it. Since I'm not a drummer is why I want to figure out a way to download premade kits and files to use in Ardour.
Thank you so much for your help!