LMS Delay released

Support & discussion regarding DAWs and MIDI sequencers.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

jeffh
Established Member

LMS Delay released

Post by jeffh »

Hello again,

I just finished my latest DSSI plugin, a delay with the following features:

1. Ping-pong stereo or dual-mono
2. A ducking delay (at Slowpick's request)
3. Integrated low-pass filter

Download here:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/libmods ... s/plugins/

Screenshots here:

http://libmodsynth.sourceforge.net/inde ... ge=gallery

The ducking feature is something Slowpick requested in another thread. Setting the ducking knob to a lower threshold (like -40) causes the echo to be side-chain compressed by the input signal. It also helps to have the filter cutoff set to a higher frequency (like ~20khz) when trying to duck.
DoosC
Established Member

Re: LMS Delay released

Post by DoosC »

Wow !
This one starts to be more advanced than the previous LMS effects.
Very flexible and effective. The integrated bpm to time conversion is a nice idea.
And the ducking feature makes it not just another delay effect.

What is the next step ? What about a sidechain compressor like Steve Harris SC3 ? It is the only one I know and it is LADSPA so I guess there is room for a DSSI one.
| DoosC |
slowpick
Established Member

Post by slowpick »

Thanks for responding to my request, and creating a fine effect. Its fun putting ray_v on the left,
and hexter on the right, and routing them to separate delays, keeps the old folks from
falling asleep :lol:

While trying to fix something else, I discovered that running this command as root:

service network restart

cures one of my systems, that previously refused to display any dssi GUIs.
It would load the instrument, without any interface. The command evidently
resets something in certain network defaults. Maybe this could be coded
into a future update of your library?

Thanks again for the LMS Delay!
jeffh
Established Member

Post by jeffh »

I'm glad everybody is enjoying it :D

There is one tiny issue with it that I'm going to release a fix for soon. Sometimes the ducking distorts the sound slightly because the compressor part is responding too quickly. I have a fixed version already done, but I'm going to hold off a little longer to see if I can improve the ducking characteristics even further. I'm also sitting on improved versions of LMS Filter and LMS Comb, where LMS Filter sounds smoother when modulating cutoff, and LMS Comb is more stable in a few hosts that were exhibiting weird behaviour.
DoosC wrote:What is the next step ? What about a sidechain compressor like Steve Harris SC3 ? It is the only one I know and it is LADSPA so I guess there is room for a DSSI one.
It just so happens that I have one in the works :mrgreen: I'm working on a compressor right now called LMS Dynamics, when it is finished, I'm going to immediately fork it into LMS Sidechain, which will only require me to change about 10 lines of code. I was hoping to release them this weekend, but I'm not happy with the way it sounds, so I might hold off a little longer on it.
slowpick wrote:While trying to fix something else, I discovered that running this command as root:

service network restart

cures one of my systems, that previously refused to display any dssi GUIs.
It would load the instrument, without any interface. The command evidently
resets something in certain network defaults. Maybe this could be coded
into a future update of your library?
I'll include that in the LMS wiki when I finally get it up and going, but as far as I know, there's no good way to put that in the library. DSSI plugins are setup like this:

1. The plugin (.so shared library file)
2. The GUI (elf executable file, optional)

The 2 communicate to sync their knobs and sliders over OSC(the GUI updates the plugin, and host automation and MIDI CCs update the GUI). The plugin .so file is loaded by a host like Qtractor or jack-dssi-host, then the GUI executable is run by the DSSI host and told to make an OSC network connection to the plugin's address, so the underlying plugin itself has no idea the GUI is even being started until it's already running and has established a GUI connection.

The DSSI host's developer could code that into the host, however... Right now it seems most DSSI hosts just launch the GUI without even checking to see if it started.
DoosC
Established Member

Post by DoosC »

It's shaping fast !
And now you even dare to do some teasing :wink:
The .deb on sourceforge are really helpful for those out there like me who are not so much into compilation.
Do you plan an inclusion into KXStudio or UbuntuStudio soon ?
Anyway thanks a lot for these plugins !

I bet you will have bright ideas on the synth side too. Ray-V is nice and I can't wait to see how the LMS serie will evolve on this side :P
| DoosC |
jeffh
Established Member

Post by jeffh »

DoosC wrote:Do you plan an inclusion into KXStudio or UbuntuStudio soon ?
I guess that's really up to them :)

I'm certainly not opposed to any distro including my plugins in their repo's, as people are much more likely to find my plugins in their package manager than they are to find them on an internet forum or sourceforge.

Although to be honest, I have no idea what the procedure is for getting something included in anybody's repo.