New Audiophile 2496 Install... No Audio Anywhere!

Support & discussion regarding DAWs and MIDI sequencers.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

TVRO1964
Established Member

New Audiophile 2496 Install... No Audio Anywhere!

Post by TVRO1964 »

Good afternoon!
I moved a working Audiophile 2496 from a working WIN XP system to a Linux system using Ardour as the primary record program.
Unfortunately I can't get any audio out of the card period. However I can see the input I supply just fine and it does vary with the faders
in Envy 24. I'm guessing that Linux ( AV Linux) did recognize that card or I would not be able to see anything in Envy.

Any thoughts as to what I might or might not be doing? I verified the card is good in 2 different WIN XP setups but I have yet gotten it to work in Linux on either Lubuntu or AvLinux. I'm kinda new to Linux and learning as I go and studying what I can so it's very possible that I missed something very simple to a seasoned user.

Thanks in Advance!!

Wayne
GMaq
Established Member

Re: New Audiophile 2496 Install... No Audio Anywhere!

Post by GMaq »

Hi,

Is this the only card on the system or do you also have an onboard sound card (ie an Intel HDA or something like that)?

Can you post the output of what you get if you copy and paste this in a terminal?

Code: Select all

cat /proc/asound/cards
TVRO1964
Established Member

Post by TVRO1964 »

There is on-board audio as well on that machine.
I will run that command when I get back and post the output.

Thanks for the help!

Wayne
Sas
Established Member

Post by Sas »

I've also got a Audiophile 2496. Works great so far.

Do you have the Envy24 Control Utility? you really need it for this model to tweak it properly. It's supplied with the alsa-tools.

Edit: nevermind, I read over your post indicting you do use it.

Well, the way I got it to run, was to tweak a couple of settings in Cadence: configure->alsa and then select the audiocard: (hw:M2496) or QJackCtl: setup-> interface: (hw:M2496) and leave input device as: (default)
Qualitymix
Established Member

Post by Qualitymix »

I own this same card. On new installs (os or hardware) the card needs to be turned up. There are two slider, DAC1 and DAC2 that need to be turned up. They are visible in one of the tabs in the envy24 program. If this isn't the problem then check and make sure JACK is pointing to the proper sound card.
TVRO1964
Established Member

Post by TVRO1964 »

Thanks for all the ideas! I have been pre occupied with the holiday festivities and haven't had much of a chance to work on this problem till now.

Hopefully I can get back into the thick of things and see what I can get to happen good or bad :) GMaq I will run the command and let you know what response I get .

Thanks all !

Wayne
TVRO1964
Established Member

Post by TVRO1964 »

First off Thanks to everyone who offered assistance with this problem.
I have it working almost 100% currently ! Just need to run some tones and balance things out a tad.
The only thing I can see that I didn't do or actually looked over is a selection on the first screen or Ardour
it was defaulted on Intel ch XXXX I changed that to ice-multi to match my setup and all is well !

Not too sure why that had the affect on things as it did but after correcting that it works!
Levels are all over the place but that's a job for tomorrow :) Least I can turn tonight knowing I
fixed something today LOL!

Thanks again everyone!

Wayne
nbd
Established Member

Post by nbd »

Also if you happen to use suspend, after resume the card does not work without removing & reloading the ice1712 kernel modules. And for some reason (I think already mentioned) the card is muted by default for fresh Linux installs (don't know if this is the trend anymore)